Research ParameterWhat. 20 broken-looking bicycles
Where. Lower East Side, Manhattan
When. Nov 2012~Jan 2013
Tracking Stolen BikesBike components are missing by time goes. Bike wheel is popularly missing componenet. Once any component has been stolen and the bike stayed at the same spot more than 1 week, the bike is losing more components.
Research Constituents–Reason I’ve documented• Approximate address: Because of tracking-purpose, we record address which the bike has been found
• What is linking to the bike: Because of tracking, reconfirming & identifying bike comparing to last research
• Missing elements: To track status of the bike to see if elements had kept being stolen
• How much the bike is broken: To estimate repair cost, to give detail for the owner, and to tracking bikes’ status
Limitation I've Met with the Research01 All components of bike have been stolen except for body frame, since body is locked
02 It is hard to tell if a bike has been stolen or taken out by original owner
03 Many bikes have been completely gone in 1 weeks, although they had been missing lots of components
04 Bikes are stolen so quicker than I had thought
How to Gather Broken Bikes?01 Track ‘find bike note’ & ‘find bike app’
02 Take donation
03 Get reported annoying bikes
04 Connect with local universities & schools
Solution 1. Find Abandoned Bike AppFunction: actively social participation, tracking abandoned bikes
• It provides social networking service.
• How to: take a photo of a bike you think it is abandoned/broken on the street and upload it on the app–
the more bike photos you share, the more badges & rewards you will get.
Solution 2. Find Abandoned Bike NoteFunction: Notice & Informational
• If the hanger stays for a while, the owner give up to take the bike back and repair.
• If the hanger or has been gone, we assume that owner take the bike. We glad that we gave a detail on how to repair the broken bike.